Domenico Gagini (Gazini or Gasini)
sculptor and architect; d. 1492.
Domenico came from Bissone, near the lake of Luganio in Lombardy, to Palermo, Sicily, where he founded a large and important family of sculptors. He is first mentioned in a contract, dated November 22, 1463, for a monument erected in the church of the convent of S. Francesco, Palermo, for Pietro Speciale (Magnifico). He made the beautiful sarcophagus of Antonio Grignano in the church of the Carmine at Marsala, Sicily, the sumptuous decoration of the capella of Christina in the cathedral of Palermo, and other works.
April 24, 1463, by letters patent of René d'Anjou, titular king of Naples, then residing in France, Gendrot was created master of the works for Anjou and Maine.
Andrea della Robbia
sculptor; b. October 28, 1435; d. August 4, 1525.
A nephew of Luca della Robbia, and assisted him in developing the art of colouring terra cotta with stanniferous glazes. The scheme of colour employed by Luca was always simple, and Andrea usually confined himself to blue and white for the figures, serving polychromatic decoration for the accessories. He is less severe and elevated in style than Luca. The only work which can with certainty be ascribed to Andrea is the ratable of the church of S. Maria delle Grazie at Arezzo (see Benedetto da Maiano). The works of the members of the family can hardly be distinguished.
architect and sculptor; b. 1429; d. about 1481.
One of the Milanese family (see Solari, C.). He succeeded Filarete as architect of the Ospedale Maggiore in Milan, Italy, and was at one time architect of the Certosa of Pavia.