Mauro (Moretto) Coducci of Bergamo, "Moro Lombardo"
architect and sculptor.
In a document dated July, 1476, the design and construction of the fine church of S. Michele in Isola at Venice is ascribed to "Moretto di Lorenzo da Venezia". In 1482 "Moretto" took charge of the works at the campanile of S. Marco, and June 12, 1483, was chosen proto-maestro of the new church of S. Zaccaria (Venice), begun by Antonio Gambello. He buiít the great stairway of the Scuola di S. Mareo. In the memoranda of a lawsuit between his heirs and the authorities of the church of S. Maria Formosa (Venice), in 1506, Mauro di Coducci is mentioned as the architect of that building. The names Moro, Moretto, Moreto, appear frequently in the Venetian records at this time, but they do not always refer to the architect Coducci.
Giovanni Dalmata is known only as associated with Mino da Fiesole in his Roman work. Tschudi ascribes to him the Roverella monument in the church of S. Clemente in Rome, about 1476.
architect and military engineer; b. September 23, 1439 (at Siena); d. 1502.
Besides his work on fortification, he was a student of antiquity; a manuscript of his translation of Vitruvius, bound up with other essays of his, is preserved in Florence. In 1476 he became attached to the court at Urbino, and from 1491 was in Naples. The only building of importance which is certainly by him is the church of the Madonna del Calcinaio, near Cortona, of which the first stone was laid in 1485; but this is one of the most valuable churches of the Renaissance. The cupola was, added by Pietro di Domenico Nozzi.