Antonio Abbondi (called lo Scarpagnino)
architect ; d. 1549.
Scarpagnino was proto or chief architect of the Proveditori del Sale in Venice. October 13, 1505, he was appointed superintendent of the reconstruction of the Fondaco dei Tedeschi, (Venice), from the model of Girolamo Tedesco, which was finished in 1508. In 1506 his name appears in the records of S. Sebastiano (Venice), of which church he is supposed to have been the supervising architect. January 10, 1514, many buildings of the Rialto quarter in Venice were destroyed by fire. March 2 of the same year Alessandro Leopardi, Giovanni Celeste, Fra Giovanni Giocondo, and other architects were called before the Doge and Signoria to make proposals for reconstruction. May 22 three models were presented, and July 18 four models, of which one was by Giocondo and another by Leopardi. A third was presented by Abbondi on behalf of the Proveditori del Sale. This last was selected August 26, 1514. The work of reconstruction was finished about 1522. The buildings then made are called the Fabbriche Antiche in distinction from the Fabbriche Nuove, added later by Jacopo Sansovino. This reconstruction included the Church of S. Giovanni Elemosinario. In 1520 with Francesco Lurano he finished the Ponte della Pietra at Verona. October 6, 1527, Abbondi succeeded Santo Lombardo as proto-maestro of the Scuola di San Rocco. He built the upper story of the main fašade, one of the finest in Venice. His name occurs in the accounts of the Doge's palace, but not in a prominent way. His will is dated July 28, 1548.
architect (mašon); b. 1487.
In 1505 he was associated with Pellevoisin in the superintendence of the construction of the cathedral of Bourges, France.
In 1505 he made the model for the Fondaco del Tedeschi in Venice, which was executed by Giorgio Spavento and Antonio Scarpagnino (see Abbondi).
Antonio (Solaro) Lombardo
architect and sculptor; d. 1516.
A son of Pietro Lombardo, whom he assisted in much of his work. In 1505 he finished one, the finest, of the reliefs in the Capella del Santo in Padua. After 1504 he was associated with Alessandro Leopardi, Alberghetto, and Campanato in the erection of the altar and monument of the Cardinal Zeno in the church of S. Marco. In 1506 a payment of twenty gold ducats was made to Antonio on account of Alfonso d'EstÚ, Duke of Ferrara, probably for the decoration of the Camerini d' Alabastro in his palace. Antonio spent the last eleven years of his life at Ferrara.