architect; b. 1818 in New York; d. 1895.
He graduated from Columbia College at the age of seventeen, and devoted himself to engineering and architecture. He was employed on the Erie Railroad and the Croton Aqueduct, and built the reservoir, Forty-second Street and Fifth Avenue, New York City. He built Grace Church in New York, and designed the Smithsonian Institute and Corcoran Gallery in Washington. His plans for a Catholic cathedral in New York City were accepted, and August 15, 1858, the corner stone of that building was laid. It was dedicated May 25, 1879. The spires were added in 1887. He planned and built numerous other buildings of importance in New York.
architect; b. February 1, 1813 in Bayreuth; d. August 24, 1885 in Starnberg.
Riedel began to study architecture in Bayreuth and graduated in Munich, the Bavarian capital, in 1834. Riedel's first project was the supervision of the new development of the Ludwigstraße Damenstift (convent) in Munich. This was followed, in 1843, by the residence and palace garden for King Otto of Greece in Athens, where he was court architect until he returned to Munich in 1850. Here he completed the Propylaeum jointly with Leo von Klenze. From 1852 till 1857, Riedel was professor at the polytechnic institute. In 1853 he was appointed superintendent of the royal building authorities and in 1872 he became the leading court architect. His works include the Wolfram von Eschenbach Monument in Wolframs-Eschenbach, numerous fountains in the garden of Schleissheim Palace, the Beamtenreliktanstalt and Bavarian National Museum in Munich, as well as numerous drafts and concepts such as for the Cistercian monastery in Mehringen, a new university and a coin. He was also responsible for the restoration of numerous palaces. From 1869 to 1874 he was architect of Neuschwanstein Castle.
Semper builds the Gothic fountain in the Post-platz (1843-1844).
Friedrich Wilhelm IV, Polytechnikum on Königsplatz (c. 1843).
Friedrich Wilhelm IV, Schloß Lindstedt (c. 1843).