Louis Jules André
architect; b. 1819, at Paris; d. 1890.
André was educated at the École des Beaux Arts and won the Grand Prix de Rome in 1847. He held various important positions in Paris, and in 1884 replaced Lesueur as professor at the École des Beaux Arts.
Gabriel Jean Antoine Davioud
architect; b. October 30, 1824 (at Paris); d. April 6, 1881.
He was a pupil of Léon Vaudoyer. In 1855 he was made architect of the plantations and promenades of Paris. About 1862 Davioud built the Théâtre Lyrique and the Théâtre du Chátelet (Paris). In association with Bourdais, he designed and built the palace of the Trocadéro for the exposition of 1878.
Heinrich Freiherr von Ferstel
architect; b. July 7, 1828; d. July 14, 1883.
From 1847 to 1851 Ferstel studied in the Architectural School of the Academy of Vienna. In 1855 he won first prize in the competition for the construction of the Votivkirche in Vienna. After travelling in Italy, France, and the Netherlands, he returned to Vienna and finished that building in 1879 in the style of the French cathedrals of the thirteenth century. He built at Vienna the Austro-Hungarian bank, the Austrian Museum for Art and Industry, and the University. In 1856 he was made professor of architecture in the Technische Hochschule (Vienna).
architect; b. 1799; d. December 8, 1877.
A brother of Sir Robert Smirke. In 1828 he was clerk of the works at S. James's Palace (London). At the British Museum, about 1855-1857, he designed and built the great circular reading room.
Verdier, Pierre Aynard
b. November 19, 1819 (at Tours, Indre-et-Loire, France).
Verdier was a pupil of Labrouste and at the Ecole des Beaux Arts. With Viollet-le-Duc he was architect of the diocesan buildings of Amiens and Beauvais (France). With Dr. Cattois he published L'Architecture civile et domestique au Moyen âge et à la Renaissance (Paris, 2 vols. 4to., 1855).
In 1855 Semper was appointed director of the architectural section of the Polytechnische Schule in Zurich, Switzerland.