Trier Cathedrals, text
The Church of Our Lady, in the Cathedral's close vicinity and near the Great Market, shows complete unity of style - the strong individualism characteristic of early Gothic architecture.
These twin-churches therefore represent one of the largest of all dual church buildings of early Christian architecture. The ancient masonry of the south-building was incorporated in later alterations and remained until the 12th century. The present church was built between 1235 and 1260.
The Church of Our Lady is considered to be the earliest and most important among Gothic buildings of central construction and altogether one of Germany's first Gothic churches. The remarkably clear and beautiful Gothic design of its foundations is cross-shaped with two chaples built into each of the cross-angles. Here, assimilation of German and French architectural ideas (The Workshops of Soissons and Rheims) achieved a central structure of perfect harmony.