Leo von Klenze
architect; b. February 29, 1784; d. January 26, 1864.
Klenze studied at the University and at the Academy of Architecture in Berlin. In 1803 he went to Paris to study with Durand and Percier and in 1805 visited Italy. In 1808 he was appointed court architect of King Jerome of Westphalia. In 1816 he became court architect at Munich, Bavaria, and began in that city the Glyptothek, his most important building (finished 1830). Among his many works in Munich are the Schloss Pappenheim, the Leuchteuberg Palace, 1818, the Hoftheater, rebuilt 1823-1825 from the plans of Karl von Fischer, the new facade of the Residenz, the southern building called Königsbau in imitation of the Palazzo Pitti in Florence, the Pinakothek, 1826, the Allerheiligen-Hofkirche, 1826, the Odeon, 1826, the Propylaën, and other works. Klenze built also the Walhalla near Regensburg. In 1834 he went to Athens and made designs for the restoration of the Acropolis which were not executed. In 1840-1850 he built the Hermitage in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
1843 1854 4510
Achille François René Leclère
architect; b. October 29, 1785, at Paris; d. December 23, 1853.
A pupil of Jean Nicolas Louis Durand and Charles Percier. In 1808 he won the Premier Grand Prix de Rome. While in Rome he made a famous restoration of the Pantheon. In 1815 he opened an architectural school (atelier) in Paris, which developed many prominent architects. Leclère built many residences in Paris, and restored many châteaux in the provinces. He was appointed inspecteur général of the Conseil des bâtiments civils in l840.
architect and archæologist; b. October 12, 1783 (at Lorient, France); d. December 31, 1826.
Mazois was a student of the École Polytechnique in Paris and later entered the atelier of Charles Percier. He was invited by Murat (made king of Naples, July 14, 1808) to restore the palace of Portici, Italy. Through the influence of the queen, Caroline, he was provided with a yearly pension of twelve thousand francs, which enabled him to undertake the great work on Pompeii with which his name is associated. The first volume was published in 1812 (reprinted in 1842).
In 1820 he was appointed inspecteur général du conseil des bâtiments civils in Paris. He published Les ruines de Pompei, Le palais de Scanrus, on description d'une maison romaine (Paris, 1819 and 1822, 1 vol. 8vo.), and Les ruines de Pæstum, Pouzzoles et d'Herculanéum, etc.