architect; b. July 25, 1814 (at Lyons, France); d. 1863.
Desjardins studied architecture first at Lyons, and afterward entered the atelier of Jaques Félix Duban at the École des Beaux Arts (Paris). In 1848 he was made diocesan architect at Lyons, and in 1854 architect in chief of that city. At Lyons he restored the Hôtel de Ville and built the new wing of the Palais des Arts, the monumental fountains of the Place de l'Impératrice, etc.
Wyatt Angelicus van Sandau Papworth
architect and antiquary; b. January 23, 1822; d. August 19, 1894 (at the Soane Museum in London).
A younger son of John Buonarroti Papworth. He studied with his father and served in the office of Sir John Rennie. In 1849 he was awarded the silver medal of the Institute of British Architects for an essay, The Peculiar Characteristic of the Palladian School of Architecture. In 1867 he revised and edited the Encyclopaedia of Architecture of Joseph Gwilt. In 1848 he undertook the formation of the Architectural Publication Society, and in 1852 became editor of its Dictionary of Architecture, which was finished in 1892 (8 vols. folio). He published many works on architectural subjects.
Alexander Thomson ("Greek Thomson")
architect; b. April 9, 1817 (at Balfron, Scotland) ; d. March 22, 1875.
He began life in a lawyer's office, where he was discovered by the architect, Robert Foote. About 1834 he entered the office of John Baird in Glasgow. Thomson made a special study of Greek architecture, and was famous for his successful adaptation of Greek motifs. Among his many works in Glasgow are the churches in Caledonia Road, St. Vincent Street, and Queen's Park, the Egyptian Hall in Union Street, and many buildings in Gordon Street.
Semper left Dresden during the political disturbances of 1848-1849and settled in London, where he supported himself as a designer for metal work and decoration, and wrote some of his smaller essays on art and architecture.