Frederick Pepys Cockerell
architect; b. 1833; d. November 7, 1878.
A son of C. R. Cockerell. He built the memorial column at Castle Howard (England), and the Freemansons' Hall in London.
Jean Louis Charles Garnier
architect; b. November 6, 1825; d. August 3, 1898.
Garnier was a pupil of Louis H. Lebas and the École des Beaux Arts. In 1848 he won the Premier Grand Prix de Rome in architecture. His envoi de Rome of the fourth year was a splendid restoration of the Doric Temple of Ægina, which was published by the French government in its series of Restaurations des monuments antiques in 1884. Garnier visited Greece, Turkey, Magna Grecia, and other Mediterranean countries, and in 1855 returned to Paris. In 1855-1856, and again in 1859-1860, he was auditor of the Conseil général des bâtiments civils. He was also architect of the city of Paris for the fifth and sixth arrondissements. In the competition for the new opera house, Paris, in 1860, instituted by the government of Napoleon III, Garnier's design won fifth place in the first trial, and first place in the second. He finished the facade of the building in 1867 and the interior in 1875 (see Baudry, Paul). In 1875 he was made inspecteur général, and in 1887 and 1895 vice-president of the Conseil général des bâtiments civils. Next to the opera house, Garnier's most striking work is the casino at Monte Carlo, Italy. He built also in Paris the Cercle de la librairie, the Panoramas Valentino and Marigny, the tombs of Bizet, Victor Masse, and Offenbach at the Cimetière du Nord. Gamier designed the observatory at Nice and many important villas in France and in the Riviera. He published Restauration Jes tombeaux des rois Angevins en Italie (54 pls. in folio); Le Théatre (Paris, 1876, 8vo); Le Nouvel Opéra (Paris, 1875-1881, text 2 vols. 4to, plates 3 vols, folio); Monographie de l'Observatoire de Nice (Paris, 1892, folio); Histoire de l'habitation humaine (Paris, 1894, folio, 4to). Garnier contributed a famous article on Michel-Ange, architecte, to the series which was published in the Gazette des Beaux Arts in 1876.
architect; b. March 16, 1827 (at Copenhagen, Denmark).
He was associated with Schinkel in Berlin. In 1860 he was appointed inspector of buildings at Copenhagen, Denmark. About 1875 he undertook the completion of the royal church in Copenhagen, begun by Eigtved, and continued by N. H. Jardin.