John Peter Gandy-Deering
architect; b. 1787; d. 1850.
His name was originally Gaudy. He changed it to Deering in 1827 on the acquisition of an estate. He was a younger brother of Joseph Gandy. In 1811 he went to Greece under the patronage of the Dilettanti Society, and associated himself with Lord Elgin, whose seat at Broom Hall, Scotland, he afterward built. His principal works in London were Exeter Hall, Strand; S. Mark's chapel, North Audley Street; part of University College, and others.
Christian Daniel Rauch
sculptor; b. January 2, 1777; d. December 5, 1857.
Rauch was a pupil of J. G. Schadow, in Berlin, and of Ruhl, at Cassel. In 1811 he made the reclining statue of the Queen Louise for her monument at Charlottenburg. He made, in 1815, statues of the Generals Scharnhorst and Bülow, in Berlin, and in 1826 statues of Blücher for Breslau and Berlin. He designed also the Dürer monument at Nuremberg, about 1829. About 1833 Rauch made six statues of "Victories" for the Walhalla, near Ratisbon (see Klenze). His most important work is the monument to Frederick the Great in Berlin.
Jean-Baptiste-Louis-George Seroux d'Agincourt, The History of Art through Its Monuments from Its Decline in the Fourth Century to Its Renewal in the Sixteenth (1811-1823).