Hendrick Corneliszoon de Keyser (Keiser)
architect and sculptor; b. May 15, 1565; d. 1621.
One of the most important Dutch architects. He was a pupil of Cornelis Bloemaart (see Bloemaart) and studied in France. He established himself with Bloemaart at Amsterdam in 1591. July 19, 1594, he was appointed sculptor and architect to the city of Amsterdam, and in this capacity had general supervision of the artistic work done by the city. De Keyser made the cartoons for the windows in the church of S. John at Gouda, Holland, which were presented by the city of Amsterdam. He made the monument to Erasmus in the Groote Markt at Rotterdam, and the monument to William, Prince of Orange, in the Groote Kerk at Delft. He built many of the ornamental gates in the fortifications of Amsterdam. De Keyser built also the court of the East India House and the Exchange at Amsterdam. At Hoorn, Holland, he built the Hoogerbeets monument, and the front of the Oosterkerk, 1615. His son Pieter de Keyser succeeded him and finished many of his works.
Ottavio (Ottaviano) Mascherino
architect; b. about 1530; d. about 1610.
Mascherino rebuilt the church of S. Salvatore, Rome, which had been destroyed by fire in 1591. His most important work is the Palazzo Quirinale, Rome, which he designed for Paul V (Pope 1605-1621). The fašade on the Piazza di Monte Cavallo and the court are his work.
Pietro Paolo Olivieri
architect and sculptor; b. 1555; d. 1599.
During the reign of Clement VIII (Pope 1592-1605) he built the great altar of the transept of the church of S. Giovanni in Laterano, Rome. In 1591 he began the church of S. Andrea della Valle, Rome. The nave was completed by Carlo Maderna. The fašade is later. He made the monument of Gregory XI in the church of S. Francesca Romana.