An architect of the eighteenth century in Venice. One of his most important works is the church of S. Maria del Rosario (called Gesuati) in Venice (1726-1743), which was decorated by G. B. Tiepolo (below). He built also, in Venice, the upper order and staircase of the Palazzo Rezzonico (see Longhena, Baldassare).
architect; b. September 14, 1696; d. March 3, 1751.
He was the son of a gardener, and practised the profession of landscape gardening. He made an attempt to arrange Gothic architecture under five orders, and organized a school mainly for the training of carpenters. Langley is best known by his extensive series of practical works on matters pertaining to architecture, such as Practical Geometry applied to Building, Surveying, Gardening, etc., 1726; New Principles of Gardening, etc., 1728, and the like.
Giovanni Battista Tiepolo
painter; b. March 5, 1696; d. March 27, 1770.
By a sympathetic study of the great decorators of the sixteenth century, Tiepolo succeeded in reviving their methods and traditions. He painted an extraordinary series of frescos in Venice, Würzburg, and Madrid.
Luigi Vanvitelli (van Witel)
painter and architect; b. 1700; d. 1773.
Vanvitelli was the son of one Kasper van Witel, a Dutch painter, and spent his entire life in Italy. He was a pupil of Philippo Juvara. At the age of twenty-six he was made supervising architect of S. Peter's in Rome. He conducted the works at the harbour of Ancona and built the campanile of the church of La Casa Santa at Loretto. He built the convent of S. Agostino at Rome, and designed the chapel for the church of the Jesuits at Lisbon. About 1749 he remodelled Michelangelo's church of S. Maria degli Angeli (the great hall of the Baths of Diocletian in Rome). Vanvitelli's chief monument is the immense Palazzo di Caserta in Naples. This building is described in a monograph by Vanvitelli, Dichiarazione del reale Palazzo di Caserta (1 vol. folio, Naples, 1756).