architect and archŠologist; b. 1762 (in France); d. December 18, 1832.
Pugin went to England during the French Revolution. He was educated at the Royal Academy and began to exhibit there in 1799. He was employed for over twenty years in the office of John Nash. For Ackerman the publisher he illustrated Microcosm of London (1808-1811), Views in Islington and Pentonville (1813), etc. He published Specimens of Gothic Architecture: selected from Various Ancient Edifices in England (London, 1821, 2 vols. 4to), Examples of Gothic Architecture (1831, 2 vols. 4to), Gothic Ornaments (London, 1831, 1 vol. folio); with John Britton, Illustrations of Public Buildings in London (1825-1828, 2 vols. 4to); with Le Keux, Specimens of the Architectural Antiquities of Normandy (London, 1827, 1 vol. 4to), etc. These works laid the foundation for much that has been accomplished in the revival of the Gothic style in England.
Sir Jeffrey Wyatville
architect; b. August 3, 1766; d. February 18, 1840.
His name was originally Wyatt, a son of Samuel Wyatt. He exhibited at the Royal Academy after 1786, was created associate in 1823, and royal academician in 1826. From 1784 to 1799 he worked with his father and his uncle, James Wyatt. In 1799 he went into partnership with a builder and engaged in extensive government contracts. He enlarged Wollaton Hall, Nottinghamshire (1804), Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire (1818-1820), Chatsworth in Derbyshire, and other residences. From 1824 until his death he was architect in charge of Windsor Castle. He completed the guadrangle and staircase of George III, rebuilt the Brunswick Tower, etc. August 12, 1824, his name was changed to Wyatville by royal license. December 9, 1828, he was knighted. His Illustrations of Windsor Castle, edited by Henry Ashton, was published in 1841 (2 vols. folio). A list of his works is given in the Architectural Publication Society's Dictionary.