Johann Gottfried Schadow
sculptor; b. May 20, 1764; d. January 27, 1850.
He was a pupil of the Dutch sculptor Tassaert in Berlin, and in 1785 went to Rome. In 1788 he superseded Tassaert as court sculptor and secretary of the Academy in Berlin. In 1793-1794 he made the marble statue of Frederick the Great at Stettin (Germany), and in 1795 began the quadriga and metope reliefs of the Brandenburger Thor in Berlin. He made the statue of Luther in Wittenberg in 1821. Schadow was in 1816 director of the Academy in Berlin. He published Lehren von den Knochen und Muscheln (1830) and Polyklet oder von den Maasen des Menchen (1833, text 1 vol. 8vo, 1 vol. folio), etc.
Sir John Soane
architect; b. September 10, 1753; d. January 20, 1837.
His name was originally Swan. He changed it to Soan, and afterward to Soane. He was the son of a bricklayer, and in 1768 entered the service of the younger George Dance. He afterward studied with Henry Holland, and at the schools of the Royal Academy. In 1776 he won the gold medal of the Academy, and a travelling stipend which enabled him to spend three years in Italy. From 1788 to 1833 he held the office of architect and surveyor to the Bank of England. The façade of this building is one of the best of his works. Between 1791 and 1794 he was clerk of the works at S. James's palace, the Houses of Parliament, and other public buildings m Westminster, and in 1807, clerk of the works at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. In 1802, Soane was made Royal Academician, and in 1806, professor of architecture at the Royal Academy. In 1836 he built the State Paper Office, destroyed in 1862. His house in Lincoln's Inn Fields and his large collection of art treasures were left to the nation, and constituted by act of parliament the Soane Museum.
Etienne-Louis Boullée, Bibliothèque Nationale (Paris: 1788).