historian and archaeologist; b. January 11, 1812; d. September, 1867.
Berty was associated with Alexandre Albert Lenoir in his work on the Statistique Monumentale de Paris. He was chief collaborator of the Histoire Générale de Paris, undertaken with the approval of the Emperor Napoleon III, by Baron Haussrnann. Berty's share of this work was the Topographie Historique du Vieux Paris, of which he lived to publish only one volume on the Région du Louvre et des Tuileries (Paris, 1866). The publication of the Topographie was continued by H. Legrand and L. M. Tisserand, and completed in five volumes in 1887. Berty published also La Renaissance Monumentale en France (1864), Les Grands Architectes Français de la Renaissance (I860), and the Dictionnaire de l'Architecture du Moyen Age (1845).
architect; b. March 2, 1815 (at Strasburg); d. March 20, 1896.
Boeswillwald was apprenticed to a mason and studied architecture in the atelier of Labrouste. In 1845 he was appointed inspector of the works of restoration of the cathedral of Paris under Viollet-le-Duc and Lassus. He assisted Duban and Lassus in the restoration of the Sainte Chapelle, Paris. In 1849 he was appointed diocesan architect of Luçon, Soissons, Bayonne, Orléans, and later of Chartres, and restored many of the cathedrals and churches of France. He organized the service of the Monuments Historiques in Algeria and Tunisia.
Austen Henry Layard
archæologist, diplomatist, and writer on art; b. March 6, 1817 (in Paris); d. June 5, 1894.
In 1842 Layard visited the ruins at Nimroud and conceived the idea of making excavations there. At this time he fell in with Flandin and Coste then engaged in their Persian explorations, and with Botta who was contemplating the excavations at Khorsabad. In 1845 he began the excavations at Nimroud, where he discovered in two years four great palaces. He published the results of his first expedition in Nineveh and Its Remains (2 vols. 8vo, London, 1849) ; and the Monuments of Nineveh, from drawings made on the spot illustrated in 100 plates (London, 1849, folio). The results of a second expedition undertaken for the trustees of the British Museum, were published in Discoveries in the Ruins of Nineveh and Babylon (London, 1853, 2 vols. 8vo), and Second Series of the Monuments of Nineveh (London, 1853, folio). After 1880 he lived in Venice and gave much attention to Italian painting.
Hector Martin Lefuel
architect; b. November 11, 1810; d. December 31, 1880.
Lefuel was trained in architecture by his father and Jean Nicolas Huyot, and won the Premier Grand Prix de Rome in 1839. In 1845 he was appointed inspector of the works at the Chambre des Députés, Paris, and in 1853 architect of the château of Fontainebleau, where he built for Napoleon III the new Salle de Spectacle in the right wing. In 1854 he succeeded Visconti as architect of the buildings connecting the Louvre with the Tuileries. Lefuel made important changes in Visconti's designs. He finished the inner fronts of the buildings enclosing the Place du Carrousel, and remodelled, from his own plans, the Grande Galerie of the Louvre from the Pavillon Lesdiguières to the Pavilion de Flore. Between 1860 and 1870 he remodelled the Pavillon de Flore itself (see Carpeaux), and between 1871 and 1876 the Pavillon de Marsan. He was made Inspecteur général des bâtiments civils in 1866.
architect; b. April 6, 1814; d. January 22, 1891.
A distinguished architect of Hungary. He was a pupil of Pollak in Pesth and afterward of Gärtner in Munich. He was constantly engaged on important works, was raised to noble rank, and made a member of the upper house of the Hungarian Parliament.
John Notman, Library of the Athenaeum of Philadelphia (Philadelphia: 1845), images: 1998.09.30